I’ve been wanting to do a “wireless” day for a while.. a day when I don’t frantically check email, read every email that shows up, don’t get distracted by facebook or twitter or the millions of sources of great design that I can’t help but read and drool over, don’t turn on my tv.. I’m sure there’s more.
Today is the day! Wireless Wednesday. I’m going to try to make it a weekly thing. Don’t get me wrong, there are exceptions – I am checking my email and etsy non-frequently (business must go on), will answer customer inquiries, however I have an inbox full of messages — mostly of things to buy or make me say “I wish I was as successful as this designer” — and I’m just not reading them today. I’m not getting caught in the spiral of design candy that usually takes up most of my day.
I’ve been able to get a surprising amount of things done so far and it’s still the morning as I’m writing this.
- I cleaned out my purse – there’s a surprising amount of room in there when I threw out the collection of napkins, card ideas on scraps of paper, and receipts! oh the receipts.. I once read that women spend 7 years of their lives digging through their purses (sorry, can’t find the source but this has stuck with me).
- Organized my desktop of files
- Wrote this fancy blog post
- Working on my very own font! (sneak peak above – Wireless Wednesdays – what do you think?)
- Planning on drawing on my lunch break
And the day’s still young! I feel like I have a new, whole day in front of me.
According to those tic tac ads, people spend an average of 13 years watching tv.
I just read an article called The ‘Busy’ Trap fron the NY Times. It closes like this:
I suppose it’s possible I’ll lie on my deathbed regretting that I didn’t work harder and say everything I had to say, but I think what I’ll really wish is that I could have one more beer with Chris, another long talk with Megan, one last good hard laugh with Boyd. Life is too short to be busy.
It makes me want to cry that I spend so much time online, at work, worrying, rushing.. when at the end of the day, those are the things that are the means to get to what really matters to me. These Wireless Wednesdays are going to make more time for me, to get my business stuff done so I can have that drink with a friend, go on more dates with my husband, and not have to say “I’m too busy” all of the time.
Where can you find the time you need?
Get my Unplug bear birthday card here for some motivation.
Subscribe by email
Cynla BlogA stress-free place for:
• my art & inspiration
• thoughts on a
graphic design-filled life
• the ups, downs and learning curves of starting a business.
Thanks for visiting!
Items from Cynla’s etsy shop